U.S. Patent and Trademark Office releases 2022-2026 Strategic Plan
Plan sets priorities that enable the agency’s new mission and vision
WASHINGTON, DC (June 7, 2023) — The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) today published its 2022-2026 Strategic Plan, completing a planning process that welcomed more than 150 comments on the draft version from the public and USPTO employees.
“We are reimagining the USPTO of the future, an agency that issues, upholds, and protects robust and reliable IP rights that incentivize innovation and bring more ideas to market for and from all,” said Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and USPTO Director Kathi Vidal. “Our 2022-2026 Strategic Plan is our path forward for continued success – we thank everyone who provided feedback throughout the planning process to make this plan ambitious, focused, and relevant.”
The new plan outlines the USPTO’s mission-focused strategic goals:
1. Drive inclusive U.S. innovation and global competitiveness;
2. Promote the efficient delivery of reliable intellectual property (IP) rights;
3. Promote the protection of IP against new and persistent threats;
4. Bring innovation to impact for the public good; and
5. Generate impactful employee and customer experiences by maximizing agency operations.
The plan directly supports the USPTO’s new mission of driving U.S. innovation, inclusive capitalism, and global competitiveness, and its new vision of unleashing America’s potential, with multiple objectives directly linked to each of these five goals.
For more information on the USPTO 2022-2026 Strategic Plan, visit www.uspto.gov/StrategicPlan.